Year 6 - Spring Term
Survival Of The Fittest
During this topic children:
- Study a range of literature including Darwin's Dragons, Pig Heart Boy and Jurassic Park and use this as a basis for writing fiction and non- fiction texts
- Consolidate Mathematical understanding in Algebra, Geometry and statistics ( Arithmetic, as well as reasoning and problem solving)
- Investigate the science of Evolution and Inheritance through a range of inquiries including extracting DNA.
- Investigate the theories of Darwin and his journey around The Galapagos
- Locate the world’s countries, concentrating on their environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, countries, and major cities
- Discuss some Philosophical questions in RE and discuss the Creation Stories versus Science.
- Apply artistic skills in portrait art and sketching using graded pencils as well as refining water colour skills.
- Study the works of sculpture artist Henry Moore and replicate his Wax resist
- Understand the importance of Internet Safety as well as designing their own apps.
- Refine team tactics in Dodgeball & Basketball.
- Speak and write basic French conversation.
Over the Spring term, we study the following texts:
Here are some examples of children's work: